<<      Community Living York South’s response to COVID-19      >>

Support FAQ

Who is eligible for Community Living York South support services?

Outreach Services: Any person who has been assessed as having an intellectual disability and resides in York South Region may access the Community Support Program. Documentation of assessment by a certified Psychologist or physician may be requested.
Referrals are accepted from self, family members, doctors, educational professionals and/or community service providers 

In-Service: Supportive living homes, day programs, and Supported Independent Living intake is managed through the Developmental Services Ontario (DSO).

What is an intellectual disability?

"Intellectual disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning (reasoning, learning, problem solving) and in adaptive behaviour, which covers a range of everyday social and practical skills. This disability originates before the age of 18"- Diagnostic Statistical Manual 5th Edition

Does Community Living York South have any space available in its supportive living services?

Currently waitlist's for supportive living services are prioritized by Developmental Services Ontario (DSO). DSO Central East Region can be reached at 1-855-277-2121. Community Support Coordinators can assist families and individuals in connecting with resources and opportunities in the community. Contact a Community Support Coordinator by clicking here

How can a Community Support Coordinator be of assistance?

The Community Support Team assists over 1500 families in “bridging the gap” while on the wait list for services. The Community Support Team will:

  • Connect people to resources and provide information about opportunities available in the community
  • Make referrals 
  • Identify funding opportunities and assist with funding applications
  • Assist in planning for transitions
  • Support people to use their voices to advocate in directing their lives
  • Assist people and their families to connect to others who share similar interests
  • Provide respite options such as March break, summer camps, weeknight programs and other programs as needed
  • Guide and support families/caregivers in creating programming options 
  • Provide education workshops for people and their families

Can you provide assistance to our family member in finding employment?

A Community Support Coordinator can make referrals to job matching services and employment preparation programs, or assist individuals and families in doing their own job search.

We currently do not offer any employment programs, however in the pas we have run the following programs that provide employment support: 

  • ACT 4 Youth
  • Outcome Employment
  • netWORKS

Ontario Disability Employment Support

This program offers a support system that assists people with intellectual disabilities to reach their employment goals. A person applying for this support must meet eligibility criteria set out by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services in the ODSP Act. For more details please contact the Ministry’s Newmarket office (1-877-669-6658) or see the government web page on Ontario Disability Employment Supports.


What is case management?

Case Management refers to the coordination of services on behalf of a party and is offered by agencies such as York Support Services Network, Children’s Treatment Network, and/or Local Health Integration Networks to name a few. A case manager will work with a person to coordinate formal and informal services to meet their unique needs.

I'm being told that my son/daughter must graduate high school by the age of 18 … is this true?

Secondary schools are open to all students under the age of 21. 

Where can I find information on SSAH (Special Services at Home) and Passport Funding?

Please click on the following link for information on Passport Funding: Ministry of Children Community and Social Services

Please click on the following link for information on SSAH: Ministry of Children Community and Social Services

Where can I get help with my tax filing?

Any accountant can assist you with your taxes.  However there are some special considerations when you are supporting someone who has a disability. Ask your accountant about T2201 disability tax credit certificate.  Here is a link to helpful information on filing your taxes. Click here

CLYS offers an annual tax filing clinic in March. Please check out our events page for more information. 

My home needs modification to be more accessible, but I cannot afford the cost at this time. Where can I look for help?

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers financial assistance to allow homeowners and landlords to pay for modifications to make their property more accessible to persons with disabilities. These modifications are intended to eliminate physical barriers, imminent safety risks and improve the ability to meet the demands of daily living within the home. Click here

You can also seek support for home modifications from March of Dimes and Central LHIN. Please see links below. 

March of Dimes Canada

Central LHIN

I need help with a legal issue. Are there any lawyers or law firms that are knowledgeable about disability related matters?

Brendon Pooran is a partner at PooranLaw.  PooranLaw provides legal services to people and families, not for profits, charities, and social purpose organizations.

Their commitment to the community: At PooranLaw, we are committed to social justice. Our dedicated lawyers have spent their lives working for the creation of a just society for people with disabilities and other marginalized groups. We strive to reach this goal through expert client advice and representation, community education and organizing, and advocacy in government and law making. 

For more information, click here

Another option is ARCH Disability Law Center is a specialty community legal aid clinic dedicated to defending and advancing the equality rights of people with disabilities in Ontario. ARCH provides legal services to help Ontarians with disabilities live with dignity and participate fully in our communities. We work with Ontarians with disabilities and the disability community on law reform and policy initiatives, community development, legal advice and referrals, public legal education and litigation.

For more information, click here

I am moving to another city or town in Ontario. Will this affect the funding I receive?

Certain opportunities are region specific and can be affected or interrupted by a change in region. Check here to see which region you reside in and whether that will change upon your move. 

If you are leaving the region, ODSP, Passport and Special Services at Home will not be affected, however you must notify their corresponding offices of your move as soon as possible.  If you are supported in a Ministry funded placement, for example a day program, you may lose that placement and need to go on the waiting list in the new region. Please contact DSO

I am on a waiting list for housing, but I need help now. What should I do?

If you are in a crisis and are facing homelessness contact the Crisis Support line at 1-855-310-COPE (2673).

If you are under 18 years of age and on the Community Needs List contact York Support Services Network (1-888-695-0070) and notify them of the change. If you are 18 years of age or older, contact DSO (1-855-277-2121) and notify them of the change.

For more information on how to apply for social housing Click Here

How can I hire a respite worker?

For information on how to hire a respite worker please check out the link below:

Respite Services.com